Thursday, April 26, 2018

This is Thursday, right? Freebie

Nerves are frayed. Yesterday my husband made Eggplant Parmesan and spaghetti and we had my two youngest nieces over for dinner. Didn't get much done yesterday. Today I had to keep calling the attorney's office to try to find out what time closing is on Monday. Brother never called or emailed me back. Earlier today something made me check the "gift" account which we had funneled money into to pay Dad's nursing home bills. I'd already written a check to give my brother half the smaller checking account and had planned to take Thom to bank to get cashier's check for his half of "gift" account minus $500 and have his name taken off the account so I'll be able to close it once final bills are paid. I figured if we both left $500 in the account that should be enough for final bills (utilities) and if anything was left I'd send him half of that. I discovered he must be in town and just hadn't called me because he had taken out half the money in the "gift" account without talking to me first. I was furious! I had my husband drive me over to Dad's house and sure enough there was a trailer in the driveway, just car missing. I used my key and had unlocked the deadbolt when Thom unlocked the regular lock. First words out of my mouth were ugly, wanting to know who he thinks he is. He yelled back at me and told me to get out of the house. I actually gave him a soft shove (not usual me) and told him it was still half my house too. Read him off about not calling me back, leaving me to wonder if he was in hospital or angry with me or whatever and about dipping into bank account without discussing it. It was not a pretty scene and I am ashamed over how I handled it. It's just that I've had so many problems with him! Things settled down and I apologized for how I talked to him (just now realizing he did not apologize to me) and explained why I was angry etc. He hadn't gotten an answer about time for closing either and went on to say he found the garage and shed unlocked and the 13ft ladder and air compressor he'd planned to pick up gone. My husband and I had carefully locked everything up last time we were there so figured it happened when buyer brought contractor over to take measurements. Since then I've talked to realtor who contacted buyer etc and they claim no knowledge and swear everything was locked up. Came home worse for scene and had email from attorney's office. We will close on Monday at 11a.m. and that will be that. Brother says he will send me check for whatever bills come in but that's probably a lost cause. Asked about our guns (he didn't bring them and hubby got angry about that so Thom said he'd ship them) and about Mom's pearls and ring. Thom never addressed the issue of the ring but told me he had taken the pearls to a jeweler for assessment and was told they were fakes. True? not true? I don't know. I hadn't looked at them that closely but they were in the case I remembered Mom pulling out to let me wear them at my wedding. I don't feel I can trust my brother who has become like Dr Jekeyl and Mr. Hyde because of all his pain meds and how he abuses them at times. I'm heartsick and disappointed with how everything has turned out, but if I never hear from Thom again after he goes back to Florida, so be it.

Thanks for putting up with my tiraide. Have another Deco Dandies zip today:
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvi1jq4h8m8lmpp/ws_DecoDandies_3.zip?dl=0

4 comments:

Seymoure said...

Hi Sherry,
Thank you for today's gift. My heart goes out to you and your husband. I wish I could give you a hug to let you know I support you.

KM said...

Sherry,

I am so very sorry for what you are going through. It is sad to see how some people deal with a crisis situation -your brother lying to you and going behind your back after all you have done for your father is heartbreaking. Maybe he feels tremendous guilt over not helping his dad before he passed. You on the other hand were there for your dad and gave him support and love. Keep that thought close!

If the pearls mean a lot to you, you could ask your brother for the name of the jeweler and call them. Did your parents have insurance on the pearls, maybe as a rider to their homeowners insurance policy? If so, they would have had to provide an appraisal of the pearls.
If you can, focus on the happier times with your brother and parents and know it is your brothers loss to have created the rift.

Kristy

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherry
Hi from Australia.I have been reading your posts for quite a long time now and really ejoy all your gifts. I Make cards for family only. I understand fully your frustration at how difficult it is to resolve your father's estate, having gone through exactly the same situation when my father passed away. This is just to let you know you have lots of support from far away.

Kind regards
Viv

MomOnceAgain said...

My heart goes out to you! During your time of grief, your brother treats you like this and I know it must hurt a lot. You are in my prayers. (((hugs)))