Friday, April 6, 2018

Feeling better Friday freebie

Finally feeling better. No swimming head so far today and no nausea, just fatigue. Have another zip of Deco Divas for you. Remember how I said there is some overlap in styles/time periods between Art Nouveau, Arts & Crafts and Art Deco? Bear in mind that art history is not my specialty. It is more a matter of having a great interest and admiration for certain artistic styles and certain periods of history. To that end let me qualify a little of what I said earlier about the styles. Of the 3 mentioned, my favorite is Art Nouveau. I love those sensuous curving lines, all the flowers and maidens with long flowing hair. I do not, however, care for the bugs and amphibians often portrayed. Dragonflies and butterflies, yes. Beetles and salamanders etc, no. I also appreciate much of the Arts & Crafts movement. It was a response to Industrialization and paid homage to the hand crafted. Arts & Crafts cottages are adorable (to me), and while the furniture has simpler lines, I could be quite comfortable with it. Then there is William Morris, who figures largely in the Arts & Crafts movement. He designed in pretty much all areas: homes,wallpapers, fabrics and so on. His intricate fabrics and wallpapers are to my eye very Art Nouveau. Here for instance:

The fabric on the left is called The Strawberry Thief, on the right is a floral and the bottom one is called Forest Fabric.

Now below is an example of a Craftsman Bungalow (what I've been calling cottage). I've seen a number of these in my city, many in the Larchmont section and would love to go inside. At one time (many years ago) Sears sold plans and kits to build these bungalows. Notice the interior examples. Simple lines to the furniture and woodwork. Added to it are a William Morris wallpaper border and William Morris textile for drapes. Goes together well doesn't it?
Here's one I love:

Among the architects and other artists of this time was Charles Rennie Mackintosh from Glasgow, Scotland. He was influenced by the Art Nouveau, Scottish design, and the simplicity of Japanese design. The best example of his style with blended strong right angles with subtle curves and floral design is the MacIntosh rose. It's modern and sleek but not cold. (P.S. you will get this in a later zip)
Which brings us to why I started this discussion today. In today's zip you will find a frame in the MacIntosh rose style. Also two papers, a bow, a Deco era ring, and a decorative piece with flowers.

I appreciate the comments you have made that let me know I can feel free to "discuss" topics with you. Never know how someone will take it when you start a one-sided discussion; but because I don't know what your knowledge base is, when I talk about old stuff especially, I like to give a little background for those who may be unfamiliar with, for example, the term Art Deco.
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4s13ylkaz76wio3/ws_DecoDivas_5.zip?dl=0

5 comments:

Rural Doctor said...

We live in an arts and crafts house. Also typical of the tradition is a very open floor plan (much like modern homes with most common rooms being open rather than behind doors. Also, wood that wasn't painted and was quarter-sawn. My favorite quote of William Morris is 'Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.' Many Arts and Crafts homes remain in the rural Midwest. They are sturdy and a nice mix of modernish with the charm of old.Thank you for your work!

SiskiyouSue said...

Thank you, I love Art Deco, and these designs are great. I'm also enjoying your lectures, always good to learn something.

KM said...

Here in the Midwest we have a few Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes. Many Arts and Crafts homes are clustered together in small neighborhoods. We have one newer home up the street in a classic Frank Lloyd Wright design, which is how I seem to lump Arts and Crafts houses. Thank you for the insight and all the information you share. And, also for the lovely files.

Has the contract been located?

Kristy

SherryD said...

Oh I'm envious, Rural Doctor! Those homes always seem so cozy. You know, the investor buying Dad's home said all the "Millenials" want open floor plans so we are seeing a return to that. The guy is planning to take down walls my parents put up between dining room and living room and possibly the wall between dining room and kitchen, which has a nice floor to ceiling pantry Dad and friend built. I think the last is a mistake because it's a small kitchen and needs the storage space. Plus, I'm one who doesn't want my kitchen so open to view. I love that Morris quote too but I need to work on the "useful" part lol.

Thanks Sue for appreciating my chatter. Nice to know.

And Kristi (have been wondering how things are going with you and your parents) how nice to have those Wright homes nearby. Where I lived in Richmond we had a couple of his most modern ones nearby. Those had too many right angles and a sleek cold look. But I'd sure trade my 50s ranch home, built for an influx of Navy personal, for one of Wright's cozier designs or the bungalow type Arts & Crafts.

Scarette said...

Thank you for sharing your knowledge of these wonderful eras in Art History. I appreciate each one. I waver between Arts and Crafts and Art Deco as my favorite Period. I love William Morris designs! Every time I find one, that I am allowed to download,I copy it. There area many Craftsman Bungalows in the metro Detroit area and they are greatly admired!