Saturday, June 23, 2018

Saturday freebie

Yesterday marked the end of my 4th week of 3x/weekly pool exercise. I realize that doesn't sound like a big deal to most of you, but it is for me. With my COPD a bit worse, fibro ever presnt, and my body out of shape from so much inactivity over the last couple years, this execise habit I'm forming is a big deal. And last visit to pulmonologist my blood pressure (already fine) dropped nearly 20 points! Even if I can't see much change yet, this routine must be doing me some good.

Did I mention that last week researchers caught a 13 foot great white shark off the Virginia Beach coast? They were going to tag him, but he broke away. Thinking back to how much the beach, usually Ocean View on the Chesapeake Bay but sometimes Virginia Beach and Sandbridge, were part of my childhood. We didn't think anything of going into the water. Oh, our parents warned us of riptides and sometimes, while standing in the Bay crabbing, our toes felt a crab nibble. The thing that worried us the most was watching out for the jellyfish which were sometimes plentiful. No one wanted to be stung. Last time I took a stroll along the Bay front, I was appalled at all the trash that had washed up. So much broken glass, even what appeared to be hypodermic needles! Who wants to chance their children swimming out in that mess? And yet they still do, even along areas of the North Carolina coast where there have been numerous shark sightings and several attacks. We are just drawn to water, aren't we? At this point in my life, I prefer swimming pools where I can see clear to the concrete bottom. Yesterday, I had the pool all to myself and it was heaven! So peaceful and soothing.

Today's zip of Memphis 80s features a favorite summertime (although all year round too) activity: riding a skateboard. I remember in high school when it became a big fad. At the time I was a Twiggy look-alike in terms of body - 5'6" tall and only 86 pounds! I couldn't gain weight no matter what. As you can imagine, I was quite awkward and unathletic. Never did master the art of skateboard riding.
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4z7g40sa2jnr3r/ws_Memphis80s_3.zip?dl=0

No comments: