Saturday, July 8, 2017

Rrecommendation & freebie

Did you know that between 1854 and 1929 thousands of abandoned, homeless and orphaned children were transported by trains to find new homes in the US and Canada? I'd like to recommend a novel by Christine Baker Kline that is well researched and addresses the so-called Orphan Trains. Kline does an excellent job of weaving together the story of a present day teenager in foster care with the story of an elderly woman, an Irish immigrant, who was an orphan train rider. They meet when the girl must do community service hours to avoid going to a juvenile detention center. The results of this meeting will warm your heart.
https://www.amazon.com/Orphan-Train-Christine-Baker-Kline/dp/1594137374/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499486850&sr=1-9&keywords=orphan+train
And if you'd like to learn more about the Orphan trains go here:
http://orphantraindepot.org/history/

Yes, once again I ran into the next day before getting around to posting. Yesterday I had some chores to do for Dad and a list of calls to make. One call was to my brother. He is not doing any better and his son is trying to convince him to go to the Mayo Clinic - which ever one specializes in neurology (I forget which). It means a long trip which is difficult enough in my brother's condition but also lots of expense. However, his son and DIL have said they will pay for him to go. My nephew is in a financial position to do this with ease but of course Thom is uncomfortable with depending on their generosity. We talked about not only his health but also Dad's. I was able to tell him that Dad hasn't had another stroke recently and his mental state seems better. Yesterday I noticed that Dad's feet were badly swollen so I'm wondering how long it will be before he makes another trip to the ER for congestive heart failure. First time was March then again in May. Will this be every few months until his kidneys and/or heart just give out? I spoke with Thom about the need to go ahead with plans to sell Dad's house. I just can't see Thom ever getting to a point to come back and help me decide what to keep and what to sell so told him to send me a list of those things he knows he would like to have.

After that conversation I had the blues, as you might imagine. My brother is 8 years younger than me and it seems his health is on par with or worse than Dad's. While I have health issues of my own, right now my physial health is pretty good. My husband reminded me that there is no point getting upset about things I have no control over but I still feel disturbed. Anyway, we decided to take a brief trip out to the craft store so I could pick up another skein of yarn to finish the afghan I'm working on for Dad and get a frame for Tyler's graduation photo. From there we stopped in at Route 58 Deli for hot pastrami sandwiches, potato knish, egg cream for him and Dr. Brown's cream soda for me.

Once home time kind of got away from me, so I didn't get post in on Friday. Here is that zip of Little Sailors:
and link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsyicr2wvy1741q/ws_LittleSailors_10.zip?dl=0
I promise I will be back later today to post zip 11.

No comments: