Monday, August 28, 2017

Another weekend gone and nearing the end of Shopping Therapy freebie

Yesterday my husband and I took a little trip across the river (just minutes away really) and visited World Market in Newport News. He has been craving something he calls Gobladina (guessing at Sicilian spelling). He says it is chunks of eggplant, celery and other vegetables in a dark sauce, used to come in small cans like tomato paste does and they spread it on bread. Doesn't sound good to me but it was something he and his mother used to enjoy when he was growing up in New York. He has been eager to take a trip to New Jersey where there are plenty of places to get Italian specialities. After hearing him go on about this and the fact that in Tidewater you can't get a loaf of true Italian bread, I went on line searching. And off to World Market we went.

Unfortunately, he had no luck and came away empty handed. I, on the other hand, visited the British section and got some goodies: a coconut chocolate chip scone mix, a jar of Double Devonshire Cream, and a container of golden syrup. No luck on Cadbury Crunchy Bars with their delicious honeycomb centers but with the golden syrup I can try a recipe I found to make my own version of the honeycomb center. And then the big (& expensive) score: A large Velvet Crumble candy bar from Australia. I reasoned I owed myself a good treat when I picked up this luxury. Years ago when I was in an international crazy quilt group, we had swaps where we would fill ziplock baggies with fancy fabrics, ribbons and other trims for crazy quilt square, and then add some little gift to represent our home and mail them off. During a big swap with a group of Australian ladies, one sent us miniature Velvet Crumble bars and I was hooked! The Velvet Crumble is much like the Cadbury Crunch (which I can order from Amazon in cool months) but somehow better. A good shopping therapy trip for me if I don't count the calories lol.

More blue today:
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8gmui3seqrtfb3/ws_ShoppingTherapy_30.zip?dl=0
I think that background pattern would make for soothing wallpaper in a bedroom.

1 comment:

Doreen said...

Back in the day I would make honeycomb candy. It's basically a peanut brittle recipe (w/o peanuts), but you add baking soda at the end. It gets all frothy & turns into a honeycomb candy. Timing is very important. Several recipes online. Dipped in chocolate coating is an added bonus - very addictive. I have bought it ready made, but it is hard to find.