Monday, October 23, 2017

Monday: Memories, Money & freebie

Today I went over to Dad's house to meet with my brother and his wife, Roberta. I took over a box into which I had emptied Dad's safe contents months ago. At the time, the safe was unlocked and I couldn't locate the combination so felt it safer to move contents out of an empty house in case of break-in. Some time after that, I found a copy of the safe combination which I copied today and took over. I'd long ago sorted out the important papers stored there to accomplish legal matters. What remained in the box were a few nice pieces of Mom's jewelry and Dad's coin and silver certificate collection. We were both agreeable when it came time to divide the money items and that worked out pretty evenly with just a couple items we need to have assessed. There were two tiny ruby rings (Mom's birthstone) so we each took one to hold for our grand-daughters. That left the 50th anniversary diamond ring (marquise stones) and a lovely string of pearls. We decided we will have those items assessed for value and, if possible, sell them to put money in Dad's nursing fund.

Next came boxes and boxes of the loose photos Dad had removed from frames and albums. My brother has some memory problems due to his strokes so didn't recognize some photos, especially early photos of people he did know in more recent shots. There were lots of photos of people neither of us knew, bad shots and so on that went into one pile. Photos of his family and him as a child in another, photos of my family and younger me in another. Some photos of our parents had duplicates or similar poses as did some of our grandparents. But there was a large pile of photos we would both like to have and will have copies made of. I wrote names and approximate dates on the backs of the photos to help Thom. Finally at 6 p.m. I had to call a halt since John expected me for dinner at that time.

Tomorrow I will be taking a break from the sorting as I have a "date" with my husband for movie and dinner out. A good day for Thom to look into those appraisals and go see Dad again. Funny how taking a stroll down memory lane can be so tiring.

Today more purple but with a skeleton theme:
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c28p2x2zxi67vpz/ws_Halloween2017-15.zip?dl=0

No comments: