Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Cooking adventures, clearing things up & freebie

It's about 1 am here and I'm still up because of an upset tummy. Hope to get a lot done tomorrow so going ahead to post. A few days ago we came across a copycat recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken, something my husband really enjoys. I can't eat it because of the MSG - makes me deathly ill. We decided we would try to make the recipe minus the MSG. That is, my husband would attempt it. First quandary was would the breading stick to skinless, boneless chicken breasts? Thought of a fix for that, mixed up all the spices etc. Recipe suggested cooking in a pressure fryer. We have a pressure cooker that includes a fryer basket and is supposed to be able to fry stuff. Getting the oil to the proper temperature recommended was a bit of a problem. Got it all going and after a while it smelled good. When it came time to remove the chicken and put the fries in the new crisper in the oven, I could hear my husband grumbling. He had taken the chicken out and put it on a rack to cool down and drain but it looked awful. Oil soaked with a gooey coating. Don't want to tell you what my first thought was when I saw it. He scraped off the coating and tested the chicken. It was done and had flavor so once the coating was removed, he deemed it edible. One disappointment. As for the crisper, I was cooking frozen fries meant for oven prep. I can't see where there was any improvement over just cooking them on a foil covered baking sheet. Weren't supposed to have to turn the fries with the crisper but might have helped. Disappointment two. Fixed a veg and sat down to eat. We both ate the portion of chicken we had on our plates but agreed it was too salty and oily. My husband isn't one to throw food away but he told me we weren't going to bother with the rest of it. He said he is looking forward to safe, leftover goulash tomorrow.

Re-read Thom's message and it made a little more sense. Then he called and told me what happened. His doctor had made arrangements with a facility in West Virginia to fill his pump. He and Roberta had driven as far as North Carolina and stopped to see their son and family. Thom got a little nervous because there have been problems with pump refills before so called to confirm they had all the required information and were ready for him. They said they never got the information his doctor sent. So he called her and she contacted the facility again and this time was told they would not refill a pump for a patient who did not live in their state! My nephew paid to fly his parents back to Florida so Thom could get his meds. They plan to fly back to North Carolina on Friday, spend a couple days with son, DIL, and grandkids, pick up their car and drive up here. We talked a little about clearing out Dad's house and how things are. Explained I'd been ill a good part of September and am feeling overwhelmed. Even the simplest things I have to do for Dad's fiances and Medicaid application get complicated. And meanwhile, I'm not getting my own stuff done.

Now, having complained yet again, I'll give you more Boho Baby.
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/woatdcii1byl3z4/ws_BohoBaby_28.zip?dl=0

Guess I'll be dreaming about what to do with the rest of this buttermilk hubby bought for the chicken recipe. Biscuits sure but what else?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

try frying the chicken in either a pan or a deep fryer worked for me suzanne

MomOnceAgain said...

Thanks for all the pieces to the Boho Baby kit that you have been posting! How about buttermilk pancakes or waffles? Buttermilk Pie?