Friday, August 2, 2019

Feeling better & freebie time

Waited to see doc a long time yesterday. He'd just gotten back from vacation and was overbooked. Here is why I ended up in ER Monday. You know I'd been put on steroids and muscle relaxers for pinched nerve, right? Monday I woke with severe stomach pain. Felt like a huge black hole full of nothing but pain. When I started to sit up (gingerly) the back of my neck felt it would explode with pain. Then there was vomiting and more head pain. Profuse sweating and some shaking. After second round of vomiting, I held onto walls and made it to living room. Told husband to call 911 as I didn't know what was happening. Some of the moments that followed I don't remember. Paramedics are just around the corner from my house and I know a lot of the faces but I can't recall the faces of those that came, or how they got me onto stretcher and in ambulance. I remember someone saying my blood pressure was 169 over ? I don't have high blood pressure. Next thing I recall was a Muslim nurse helping to remove my pjs. Didn't feel the IV (& I'm a hard stick). The Er team loaded me up with tons of Benedryl, something else for nausea, a drug for migraine (even though this was nothing like my usual migraine), couple of other things and even some magnesium. They did a EKG and CT of my head and didn't find any bleeding. Not much pain relief but my signs stabilized and they gave me 2 Tylenol which didn't do much. They sent me home with 2 meds for gastritis and said call my doc for whatever I normally take for migraine and follow up. He said I'd had an adverse reaction to the steroids. I was so weak, I could barely hold my head up. He said use a travel pillow around my neck while sitting up, and supportive pillow in bed. I'm to take meds that coat my stomach. go back on muscle relaxers and call next week with how I'm doing. At least today I feel less fragile and can walk without feeling I'll fall over. Such fun!



Here's a little tidbit about peacock mating:
No matter the species of peacock, these colorful creatures boast impressively sized and patterned plumage that they fan out for display purposes. It isn't an act of vanity, though -- peacocks fan out their feathers as part of a courtship ritual to attract a mate. But they're not just pretty to look at. The birds also use their huge tails to make a loud noise – which humans are utterly incapable of hearing. When a peacock shakes his tail, it produces a sound that is so low-pitched, humans can't hear it. Researchers found that rapid shaking of the peacock's tail feathers created a dynamic iridescence around the eyespot. Using scanning electron microscopy the researchers found the eyespots stay so still during displays because they are locked together with microhooks much like those on flight feathers. The hoot dash is a peculiar courtship move in which a male peacock emits a loud noise, something like the honk of a clown's horn, right before copulation. The female peahen is already ready for mating; why does the male need to let out this powerful squawk?
Peacocks mate how other birds mate. Female peacocks do not impregnate themselves by gulping down make peacock's tears as a Rajasthan High Court judge in New Delhi proclaimed: [he] said the peacock was the national bird of India because it was 'celibate' and the peahens reproduced after swallowing the tears of the male. The female peacocks, often picky, matewith the male peacock who has the largest and most colourful feathers. In the peacock species, males congregate a communal display during breeding season and the peahens observe. Peacocks first defend their territory through intra-sexual behaviour, defending their areas from intruders. ... Central positions are usually taken by older, dominant males, which influences mating success. Male peacocks shed their train each year after mating season.
How many eggs does peacock lay? Indian peafowl: 4 – 8 Green peafowl: 3 – 6

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9iskvmw7vdln28/ws_PrettyPeacock_4.zip?dl=0

No comments: