Saturday, November 17, 2018

The first time I saw a gingko leaf was autumn of 1985. I'd parked in front of the Virginia Commonwealth University gym on Franklin St and as I walked around the car to put money in the meter, a golden yellow leaf floated down and landed on me. I was charmed by the lovely fan shape. I also remember something I misinterpreted that day. There was a faint nasty smell like vomit nearby and I hurried away thinking someone had drunk a little too much the night before. Only recently did I learn that the female gingko tree drops it's seed pods in the fall and until the outside dries, they emit a nasty smell like, yes, vomit. Gingkos are popular trees in many urban planning designs but cities have learned to plant only male Gingkos because of the nasty seed pods. And yes, the nuts (they don't smell) inside those pods are used in ginko biloba supplements.

Today's zip includes some gingko leaves and the zip is a bright departure from yesterday's woodsy hues.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6q3salxgfzdqhaw/ws_AutumnElegance_16.zip?dl=0

1 comment:

KM said...

Always love your little bits of information! It is good to learn something new each day. Female ginkgo seed pods have an odor, who knew?
Lovely elements, thank you!

Kristy