Thursday, December 11, 2014

A little grousing and a note about freebies

I came in and set down at the computer while I'm letting my hair dry naturally. I intended to pay bills then move on to some other tasks elesewhere. I've done everything but. I'm procrastinating. There, I've owned up to it. My chronic fatigue is in high gear (has been since shingles outbreak) and that means I'm functioning in low gear lol. But my hair is still damp (I hate to blowdry) and I've got a nice hot cup of coffee so might as well chat a minute . . . or two. To Stacey and my other friends who, like me, can't seem to get caught up, just thought I'd let you know you aren't alone. I really do need to get to the post office where I will have to stand in line a good while to mail some packages. Then I've got to head over to AC Moore and pick up a sterling silver bail for grandson's crucifix. I thought I'd be able to attach it to the chain I bought with just a jump ring but the chain is thicker than I thought. From there I'm supposed to do a Costco run. You can imagine what a zoo that's going to be. But each batch of my fruitcake requires 10 eggs and I've got less than that plus need extras for regular cooking. Really want to get those cakes baked and wrapped in their brandy soaked cheesecloth so they will be good by Christmas. That reminds me - need another pint of apricot brandy and I hate going to the liquor store. Once I get home, there is laundry and tree decorating. I also promised I'd make turkey and dumplins tonight. No rest for the weary!
[by Edith] While I'm being grumpy, let's talk about Christmas trees. Sure, I love the real ones but the cost is prohibitive and they don't hold up well. So, years ago we went over to a fake tree. It was a big one at first but after I became disabled, I changed to a 4.5 foot prelighted tree. Putting lights on was the hardest thing for me with my bad neck and fibro. The tree I bought maybe 7-8 years ago has always had a problem with the way the top fit and has onlly gotten worse with time. I spurgled and bought another 4.5 ft tree this year. My husband was not happy. He would just as soon have a little 12" predecorated tree and call it done. Me, I've always loved putting the tree up after Thanksgiving and leaving it up until Ephipany to enjoy all the decorations and twinkling lights. It's cheerful, you know? But sure, it's still a lot of work and I tire so easily. This first year with the tree, it seemed to take forever just to get it out of the box and fluffed up. They cram them into boxes to take as little space as possible. Good for the manufacturere but not for the customer. With the prices they charge, I think these trees ought to come with a free tree wrangler. Someone you call once you get the box home and make an appointment with so that the wrangler comes out to your home, shows you how to set the tree up and fluffs it all pretty for you. I know what you're thinking: If she wants someone to set the tree up and fluff it, bet she'd like someone to decorate it too. I used to enjoy doing that but quite honestly, and I hate to admit it, it's tiring now. I'm thinking that next year I might talk my grandson (he's 16) and his girlfriend into coming over for a tree trimming "party." Get them to decorate in exchange for pizza and movie tickets? It's a plan.
Now, about freebies. First, all 2014 freebies will be available until the end of January when I will clean out my 4shared account to make room for new year. Second, you can expect to find a freebie every day this month. I'm working hard to schedule a week in advance so I don't miss a day. Still have more of Holiday Treat to post but don't know off hand how far it will take us. When I've scheduled all I've made up to this point, I will either make more holiday themed stuff, or if you prefer, will fill in with general stuff? Let me know what you think. Hugs!

2 comments:

MomOnceAgain said...

You aren't the only procrastinator, believe me! I can put things off until they are no longer needed. I have a small pre-lit tree that I don't put up - with no little ones around it seems like such a waste of time. But somehow it doesn't seem a lot like Christmas without one.
Thanks for all the freebies - I don't have a preference, really, whatever you put out there will get snatched up. I do prefer to see coordinated things though, so the Holiday Treat has been exciting to collect!
Take it easy and try not to stress out. If something doesn't get done, how important is it? Of course, with an attitude like that, you really will be procrastinating! :D

PauliesPoodle said...

thanks for all your creative sharing