Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Freebie - one for the lassies.

Yesterday's zip was for the lads so you probably expected this one for the lasses. Just a few domestic goodies today. Couldn't resist doing a sketch of the doll clothed in traditional garb. There's a piece of lace similar to four leaf clovers, a vintage photo mat, a stylized flower. No Irish household is complete without at least one teapot. The utilitarian Brown Betty teapot used in most British homes, is typical of what you'd find in your average household in Ireland. Those more wealthy families might, of course, own a silver tea service for company, or the highly prized Belleek porcelain. I love the delicacy of Belleek and own a number of pieces - smaller pieces - and watch for it in thrift stores (never found any there), antique shows, and search for bargains on ebay. My daughter-in-law loves it too and looks forward to inheriting what I have. Now it doesn't do to have a good cuppa (which my Mama claimed was good for any number of things) without a little something to nibble. This something can be as simple as a nice slice of bread and butter, scones made from Bannock loaf, or a fine cream scone. Tea is also served at meals, of course, unless something stronger like stout is desired. The woman of the house, often referred to as Herself, a term of respect, is likely to wear a Claddaugh wedding ring like the one shown. The ring originated in an Irish fishing village of the same name in the 17th century. It symbolizes friendship (hands), love (heart), and loyalty (crown). I believe the saying goes: With these hands I give you you my heart and crown it with my loyalty. The Claddaugh is my favorite Irish symbol and I wear several pieces of jewelry based on it.
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z82a33jfewvw6o/ws_TIW_15.zip?dl=0

No comments: