Sunday, February 25, 2018

Thank you and update


I truly appreciate each and every expression of sympathy from you, my readers. It's a difficult time still. We allowed time for out-of-state family members to travel and be here for my father's funeral, so held a one day viewing on 2/16 and a simple graveside service on 2/17. The day of the funeral was bitterly cold. After the funeral, family met at Dad's house. Had it been left to my brother, there would have been no gathering at all. Originally, I'd planned to have the gathering at my home but following my father's passing, I was exhausted emotionally as well as physically and just couldn't pull together enough energy to clean the house for company. That probably sounds strange, but I've had to let so much of my own housekeeping go because of more important matters like caring for and being with my father in his last days. Plus I have tons of paper work and some of his personal effects cluttering up living areas. My brother and his wife were staying in Dad's house once they arrived and having cleared out most of the house on their last visit, there was plenty of space in good order. My SIL assured me it would be no problem but stressed I should keep it simple. I purchased refreshments which they only had to set out. There were only 8 of us who came back to the house, not some big crowd. My brother and, to some extent his wife, were cold to my husband and me. We put it off to Thom taking things hard and wanting to be alone.

Things went downhill from there until on Tuesday when my brother and I went to the attorney to discuss final matters. On the way home, my brother insulted me which was the last straw. I am grieving for my father and my brother has been highly critical of me. I could say a whole lot more about the matter but the total of his behavior, lies, and greed has been disturbing my peace for days now. So I'm going to insert a few quotes here which will pretty much tell you where my thinking is.

To sum up, I am hurt and terribly disappointed in Thom. Dad's house is now in both our names and I suspect that once it is sold and Thom has gotten all he can, I may not hear from him again. This should come as no surprise despite his recent protests and proclamations that he loves me. He has never been good about trying to stay in touch. Once my usefulness is over, I suspect as far as he is concerned so is our relationship.

Now if you've hung in there through all my complaining, I can tell you that I had previously put together enough pieces of one of the color schemes I was exploring for a Valentine's kit that I have now gotten it all together and will be posting it this week. It's called Wine & Roses and is pretty traditional. I'd also wanted to do a kit in lavender and pinks but that will have to come later. Come back tomorrow for the kit.

Hugs,
SherryD

5 comments:

Seymoure said...

Sherry--
I am so sorry that you have so much to deal with on top of your father's passing. I really just wanted to let you know that I have been stopping by your blog to check up on you. I know I should have left a note saying I was thinking of you. I hope your love of designing will help fill the emptiness, hurt, and frustration you are feeling. Just know that a lot of us will be praying for you and hope you find peace of mind that you really did all you could for your father's care. All of us out here in digiland, I least I did, wondered how you juggled everything. I think you did a fantastic job! Take care and God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Sherry, my heart, love and prayers are with you and your DH. It is very hard to lose a loved one--I am hoping that this will go through as many times when I write I can't seem to get it to mail to you. However, trying again, as I have been enjoying your wonderful kits and your talent. Back to your grieving, it is so terrible when a family member is only there for all he can get--I don't blame you one bit for feeling as you do. Try to rest and relax in amongst all the unfinished paperwork and final completion of all the many things that have to be done before you can say that all is finally done. You have been good to your father, and you will never have any second thoughts about ignoring this issue at hand. My prayers are with you.

Love and hugs, Bernie

Anonymous said...

Sherry, my heart, love and prayers are with you and your DH. It is very hard to lose a loved one--I am hoping that this will go through as many times when I write I can't seem to get it to mail to you. However, trying again, as I have been enjoying your wonderful kits and your talent. Back to your grieving, it is so terrible when a family member is only there for all he can get--I don't blame you one bit for feeling as you do. Try to rest and relax in amongst all the unfinished paperwork and final completion of all the many things that have to be done before you can say that all is finally done. You have been good to your father, and you will never have any second thoughts about ignoring this issue at hand. My prayers are with you.

Love and hugs, Bernie

KM said...

Sherry,

I am sorry things did not go well with your brother and hope he will come to realize and appreciate all you have done to make your father comfortable in his last days on this earth. And even if he doesn't, you know you did all you could and that your dad knew that! Please do not let the actions of your brother detract from the honor you paid your father and the memories you hold. We choose our friends not our family and doing your best by them is all you can do.

Prayer for peace and strength while your heart heals.

Kristy

MomOnceAgain said...

Your situation pretty much sums up mine with my sister since my mother's passing. It is sad, because we used to be closer. Now we are acquaintances, if even that. Take the high road and know that the Lord will bless you in the long run. (((hugs)))