Sunday, April 13, 2008

I shopped e-bay today!

My husband and I were at our computers (they are side by side) earlier today and I was browsing antique books on e-bay. He suggested that I search for a replacement for an antique vanity box he accidently broke some months ago.

When I was in grad school, I'd begun collecting antique celluloid vanity accessories. The box he broke dated from the early 1920's. It had an octagonal amber glass bottom and a pretty, etched faux marble top in a gold tone. It was my favorite piece and used to sit on the glass shelves in the bathroom. Somehow he managed to knock it off and the glass part broke. I saved the top thinking I might find another bottom piece sometime later. On my excursions to antique and thrift stores I hadn't found anything that would do. At Christmas, my dear hubby even went through antique stores downtown searching for a replacement because he felt bad about it. Didn't find any amber pieces but bought a celluloid tray with mirror inset, with matching celluloid shoehorn and two pinkish/peach glass containers with celluloid tops. The color goes with a celluloid box I have in the guest bath. The new pieces go very nicely on the shelf that is above the vintage style pedestal sink.

Anyway, I looked on e-bay today and did find the set pictured below, which I won. The glass bottoms of these look wider than the box that was broken but the top still may fit and if it does, I'll use it to replace the one for the hair receiver below (that's the box whose lid has a hole in it).



Then I browsed some more. I'm nuts about vintage buttons and next thing I knew, I'd bid on several lots. So far, I've won two lots of vintage plastic buttons from the 30s. Not my favorites but I have a plan for these. Then I went on to look at the vintage shell buttons which are my favorites. I won 2 sets of carved mother-of-pearl and abalone buttons. I bid on a couple of other button lots too but several of them are presently at higher prices than I'll agree to pay. Especially as shipping rates are so high.

1 comment:

xashee's corner said...

Found you through Mrs. Miles blog and glad i did! lol OMGoodness that box is AWESOME!!! but just what is a hair reciever box??? lol i LOVE vintage and learning how things were used and you just introduced a new one to me!! Thanks soooooo much :D GREAT purchase!! Have a BEAUTIFUL day!