Sunday, December 30, 2007

Reflections On Christmas Just Past

All in all, Christmas 2007 was very pleasant. Christmas Day was spent largely with my husband and son. We slept in a little, had homemade sausage, egg, and cheese muffins for breakfast, then took our time opening gifts.

I'd already received my largest gift from DH/Santa - 9"x12" Wacom Intouos [sp] 2 that arrived not long after Thanksgiving. We had to test it to make sure it was alright. Now I'm having to unload my overburdened hard drives to make room for the software. Really looking forward to playing with it and hope it will help me in creating new kits. Goodies all around to be pleased with. Then time to chill out until dinner.

We enjoyed a simple Chirstmas dinner: glazed spiral cut ham, candied yams, green beans, and yeast rolls. Dessert was also simple: pumpkin pie baked by our friend, Brenda, who joined us this year for dinner, and chocolate cake decorated with Christmas sprinkles. Brenda, who lost her husband Thanksgiving week, managed very well. Jeremy, my son, had to pack up and go back to Richmond after dinner because he was supposed to leave early the next morning for Charlottesville to see his father. My father and his companion had Christmas dinner with her son and family then came by for dessert in time to see Jeremy for a short time.

After everyone packed up and left, DH and I settled in to relax and store up energy to spend with our grandson who came on Friday morning and went home today. At nine, he's still a bundle of energy and very curious about the world. We'd been told he needed clothes more than toys this year and were surprised at how delighted he was with even things like socks! Dh took him bowling and all of us went to a movie - National Treasure.

Today the weather has been gloomy and the house so quiet. We napped to make up for lost sleep. DH watched football and I worked on a new kit.

Hard to believe we're at the end of another year. 2007 brought some changes: health concerns for DH; additional immune system trouble for me; a long lasting (6 mo.) eye injury for my father; surgery for my brother (we hope he'll go home from the hospital in the next couple days); the deaths of 4 people we knew (1 good friend, 3 co-workers); new "job" for me (digital design); new hobby for DH (using CAD program to create digital train layouts).

What will 2008 bring? I'm supposed to start a new program for people with PTSS (post traumatic stress syndrome); my husband celebrates a year of smoking cessation in February and his life insurance premium should decrease; my ex will complete his Masters in Education Administration in the spring; my son should graduate from radiography school in August.

I plan to spend some time this week thinking about goals for 2008 - something sensible and actually achievable. I wonder what sort of plans my friends have for the coming year?

1 comment:

Kiron Manuel said...

Christmas is a very lovely festival