Sunday, December 9, 2007

Layouts Made With 50's Diners by Sandi Scraps

I'm old enough to remember some of the diners that were so popular years ago, many will lots of shiny chrome and flashy neon signs. Here in my hometown, there's a little place downtown that was a hangout for my parents when they were young, a cool place to grab lunch when I was downtown, and still operates today selling excellent barbeque sandwiches, delicious limeades, thick chocolate milkshakes, and icecream on old-fashioned sugar cones made on the premises.

When I saw Sandi's kit, I knew it was perfect for a tribute to a Norfolk tradition - Doumar's.

No background is included in the kit so I roughed out a night sky and parking lot and created a sign to go over the word "Diner."

Dourmar's has been in downtown Norfolk since the 1930's. Within the windows of the "diner" are photos left to right of: their famous barbeque sandwiches, Al Doumar working the ice cream cone machine. (An earlier Doumar invented the sugar waffle cone.), famous Doumar's limeade, behind the doors are waitresses Hilda and June in the 1940's (June is a family friend and my father's companion), waitress at counter with other Doumar brothers.


Above you see the inside of a typical diner of the period from Sandi's kit. I extracted the figures of my parents from some black & white photos from the 50's and colorized them to place them in the diner.

If you've got some 50's photos you need a home for and enjoy the look of 50's Diners you can find it here:

http://www.scrapbookersplayground.com/Cart/index.php?main_page=product_scrapbook_info&products_id=6861

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to drop in and say that I've added your blog to my Links. I enjoy your own 'oldies' style of scrapbooking too!

Craftmans

Lisbet said...

I´m a designer at K-JOI studios and I have been looking at your welldesign and most delicate layouts. I really would like to see them at the gallery because they are really great. So I invite you to K-JOI and post. When you register in the forum don´t forget to introduce yourself because then you get a gift. You also get gifts when you post in the gallery but don´t forget to say my name: lisbet in the keyword line.

http://kjoistudios.com

You can also visit my blogs:
http://www.hzdesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.digiscrapp.blogspot.com

Hope to se you both at K-Joi and my blogs.
Lisbet
HZDesigns