Friday, October 26, 2007

Some heritage pages

The three pages below are of my paternal grandmother's family. I used Green Daze by AMB Designz for the layouts with a few additions. you can find the kit here at Scrapbookersplayground:
http://www.scrapbookersplayground.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/908


That's my grandmother, Lillian, standing beside her father, Herbert Owens Horton. Two of her brothers are shown: Raymond and Herbert. (Frame02 from Painted Pixels.) Papa Horton (as I called him) was still alive when I was a little girl. I believe his birthdate is around 1872 so he was in his nineties. He'd retired from Virginia Electric and Power where he was a streetcar conductor.
Although it was uncommon in those days, my great-grandfather ad been dovorced. In the brown leather frame from Princess Pamela is Papa Horton and his second wife. In the fancy frame by Artgrtaphix is Margaret, first wife and Lillian's mother. All I know about her is that she was German, Jewish, and remarried. She was still alive when I was a young girl but I never met her. However, my grandmother gave me a Dresden Plate quilt she made.

This is probably the last known photo of Papa Horton. He lived with my grandmother when I was a little girl until he needed additional care and went into a nursing home. This photo was taken at the nursing home on a day Nanny and I visited.
I have one other photo of Papa Horton that seems to fall between the second and the last photos. The company he worked for still exists under another name and they have some old photos of employees. I'm checking to see if they have one of Papa and a photo of the type of trolly he would have driven. If so, I will use those photos with the other one I have.


No comments: