Sunday, February 4, 2018

Sunday news - last Snow Queen freebie & news of Dad

I forgot to post last Snow Queen zip yesterday. It's just another page template:
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6qtgkugq0oi0cd/ws_SnowQueen_25.zip?dl=0

Had 2 nightmares last night. Was waking up from 2nd when my husband came in to tell me Heritage Hall called about Dad. When the nurse went in to check his vitals, his pulse was only 31, his blood pressure was real low and he was unresponsive . She called for an ambulance and was having him transported to the nearest Emergency Department. I got dressed, grabbed a quick bowl of cereal and my husband took me over to hospital. There was confusion in records about whether or not he was DNR and DNI - he is. He'd been given a heart med in ambulance, was on oxygen, then a nebulizer, a "Bear Hug" for warmth (his temp was low), all sorts of things. Still unresponsive for most part. Lots of blood drawn during which he appeared uncomfortable. Cardio was called in. Talk of pace maker surgery but I said no. Going to admit to ICU once a bed was available. Confusing mess. Finally one of the ER docs spent more time with me and when I was telling him what nurse practitioner had said about her finds last week and mentioned Comfort Care, the doc stopped cold. He's supposed to be on Comfort Care? Dad should not have been sent to ER, should not have been put through blood draws, poking and prodding, heart drugs to regulate rhythm and increase blood pressure, not even heating blanket. Turns out it was a new nurse at nursing home, not aware of Dad's status. She freaked out and had ambulance on the way before the nursing desk told her he was supposed to be on Comfort Care. Nothing to do once ambulance was on way but go with it. After about 6 hours in ER, with all equipment but catheter removed, Dad was transported back to nursing home to his familiar room and settled in. I spoke with nurse on desk who apologized for error and assured me the records were correct there and orders would be followed. My blood sugar was dropping since I'd had nothing but a soda while at hospital. I kissed Daddy and told him I'd be back in the morning. Not that he heard me, but still. Husband insisted I come home and get a meal, call my brother, then relax and try to get to sleep so that's what is up next. I may not post tomorrow depending on how things are going. I'm sure you understand.

2 comments:

KM said...

Oh Sherry, I'm so sorry for what you and your dad are having to go through. And, for the confusion with his care. I'm guessing that in the nurses panic (and our sue happy society) she did want she was trained to do, save lives. It's too bad they do not have a place where patients wishes are clearly displayed for care staff to see clearly in an emergency. Praying he is comfortable and pain free. Praying for peace and rest for you and your family.

Kristy

MomOnceAgain said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. May the Lord give you comfort and peace during this troubling time. (((hugs)))